Bacalhau e Grão de Bico/Salted Cod & Chick Peas
1 lb salted cod (skinless, boneless)
2 Russet potatoes, peeled
2 cans chick peas, drained and rinsed
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jar (7 oz) manzanilla olives
Portuguese Olive Oil
Red wine vinegar
Parsley (fresh or dried)
Red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Soak cod in cold water in the refrigerator for 24 hours, change the water twice during this
2. After you have rinsed cod, cover with cold water and bring to a boil, about 20 minutes or
3. Taste the cod for saltiness - it should still have some salt but if it is still too salty, drain,
add fresh water and boil again for a few more minutes
4. While cod is boiling, cook your eggs, potatoes and onions
5. Boil eggs for 10 minutes. Then turn the stove off and let simmer for 9 more minutes.
Rinse in cold water and let cool. Then peel and slice using an egg slicer.
6. Peel potatoes. Cover with cold water, add salt. Boil until tender. Let potatoes cool before
cutting into thick slices.
7. Slice onions. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan on medium heat, then add onions
and a dash of salt. Stir occasionally. Sauté onions until they are golden.
8. Mince 2 cloves of garlic. Add to the pan with onions when onions are almost ready and
cook until garlic is fragrant. Set onions and garlic with olive oil aside.
9. Once cod is cooked, drain and shred fish using your hands. Remove any skin or bones
10. Drain and rinse beans.
11. Add 1-2 tablespoons olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add beans and fish and toss to
combine. Taste the cod to determine if you need to add salt. Add black pepper, parsley,
red pepper flakes (optional). Add 2 teaspoons of red wine vinegar. *you are not cooking
the beans and fish- just lightly sauté while you season them.
12. Add fish and beans to a casserole dish. Layer the sliced eggs on top. Layer the sliced
potatoes on top. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the potatoes. Pour sautéed onions and
garlic in olive oil on top. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar. Add a one jar of olives.
Finish off with freshly chopped parsley and paprika for color.
13. Serve with white rice
Cook time: about 45 minutes
3 cups Jasmine rice
4 ½ cups water
½ onion, diced
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Add olive oil to a pot on medium-high heat
2. Add diced onions to pot and sauté until they begin to soften (just a few minutes)
3. Add 4 ½ cups of water to the pot. Cover with a lid. Turn heat to high and bring to a full
4. Pour 3 cups of rice into a fine mesh strainer. Rinse under cool water until water runs
5. Once the water in the pot has come to a boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt. Add rice. Stir.
Cover pot with lid. Boil on high heat until most of the water is absorbed (about 10
6. Once most of the water is absorbed, turn heat down to lowest setting possible. Simmer
for another 20 minutes or until rice is soft and fluffy. Do not stir.
Fluff rice with a fork.
From different artists, events and activity organizers who have background or interest in Cape Verdean culture.
This is exactly what Nosagenda stands for: to be a platform that centralizes our Cape Verdean activities while motivating and inspiring people to connect in celebration of our culture.